Once again, the United States has been bombarded by severe thunderstorms. The storms that ravaged Joplin, Missouri, this past Sunday, spawned devastating tornadoes that literally wiped out 75 % of the town. As morning broke, hundreds were missing, localized flash flooding had begun, and roadways were littered with downed trees, crushed cars and toppled buildings. Below is an excerpt from our latest Disaster Response Report from the scene.
JOPLIN STORM DAMAGE
• The death toll in Joplin, Missouri, has risen to 116 and even more are injured . The number of dead is expected to rise as search and rescue crews sort through the rubble.(This storm has been listed as one of the ten deadliest tornadoes of all time.)
• Rescue and clean-up efforts will be hampered, because multiple rounds of severe weather are expected over the next couple of days.
• Localized flash flooding is likely as the ground is already saturated due to above-normal rainfall the last two months.
• The tornado traveled 6 miles from the west side of the city to the southeast portion. The southern edge of the city was the hardest hit.
• The storm’s width ranged from half a mile to three-quarters of a mile in width.
• Scenes from the city look much like those of the tornadoes that claimed more than 300 lives in the Southeast last month.
• Throughout the city, roads are littered with downed trees and buildings, making them nearly impassable.
• Interstate 44 also had significant damage as 20 cars and tractor-trailers were overturned.
• The priority is to help CBF Missouri identify a church that has the capacity to house CBF response teams desiring to go into Joplin.
• The staging area could be in Oklahoma as easily as in Missouri, since Joplin is on the state line.
• According to CBF Missouri, several of their churches have already called in to ask what they can do to help, and where they might house their responders.
Please pray for:
• Those who are hurting.
• The leadership of CBF Missouri.
• The safety of all involved.
• The leadership of the Holy Spirit in our decision-making.
• That the Lord will send workers who desire to serve as the presence of Christ to our neighbors in Joplin, Missouri.
Please continue to monitor the CBF website for the most up to date information.